Sep 18, 2008

314


This is room 314 at St. Luke's South. The very room that my first child was born. This picture was taken moments before we left the room to take Jake home for the first time....July 22, 2005. I saw that room again today for the first time in three years. Jo, Jake and I went to the hospital for our meeting with the Maternity Coordinator. We basically went over general information, signed some forms, yada, yada, yada....so we don't have to do all of it in the middle of labor next month.

It was extremely surreal to see that room again today. It brought back an overwhelming amount of memories and emotions. The last time we were in there, we carried out this tiny bundle of joy...

Today, I was chasing around a borderline hyperactive 3-year-old who wanted to do nothing but play with a Buzz Lightyear toy he found in the Coordinator's office (and eat a random Cheerio he found stuffed in the couch cushions)...all the while climbing in, on, over, and around every piece of furniture in her office. Then, we had to deal with the meltdown when we had to remove Buzz from Jake's sticky little fingers because Buzz had to stay behind.

I tried explaining to Jake the significance of that room as we walked down the hall after our meeting. I don't think he grasped what it was all about....with tears streaming down his cheeks, he was a little more concerned about having to abandon Buzz.

As stressful as Jake can be sometimes, it's all worth it....and then some. I cannot wait to see Devon for the first time. Hopefully, if Room 314 is available when we go into labor, we can welcome Devon into the world in the same little room that his big brother was born in.

4 comments:

Joleene said...

I love you so much!! I am so lucky to have such a great husband. Jake and Devon are lucky too.

Cherie D said...

I will put your blog on my list to read right under Jo's!Just don't post any freaky ultra-sound pictures! LOL

Roxie Armstrong said...

Good for you Colby. I am so glad that Joleene found such a good man as you. I will also enjoy keeping up with you guys busy little family. I hope you get the same room at the hospital.

Cori said...

So thanks for helping me find the trailer park. (Good man Jo. He didn't Caller ID me.) I'm glad you realize how awesome my friend is. I just love her.

Like the post, by the way. :)