Sep 21, 2008

Trickeration.

Anyone who knows Jake knows how much he loves Lightning McQueen. I guess you don't really even need to know him. Heck, there are Wal-Mart cashiers out there that know how much he loves his Cars. We generally carry one most everywhere we go. And he's all too eager to ramble on if you'll lend an ear...


Now, sometimes it seems like he has about 800 Lightning McQueen cars....there's Lightning McQueen, Tongue McQueen, Dirt Track McQueen, Bug-Mouth McQueen, Radiator Springs McQueen, Cruisin' McQueen, Cactus McQueen, Bling-Bling McQueen, Dinoco McQueen (the last two however, are easily distinguishable by their bright blue paint). These are their "official" names.

He has so many McQueens (and some duplicates) that he's even given them custom names--names that are easy for him to keep track of: Old McQueen, or New McQueen (which isn't even the newest of the new regular Lightning McQueens). Are you completely lost now?

Tonight Jo went to check on him and give him a kiss before she went to bed and he was still wide awake. And he wanted "McQueen". He didn't remember where he was...which meant I had to search. I couldn't find the one I knew he wanted, so I grabbed the closest match. It was still regular Lightning McQueen--just not the one he wanted.

He was sitting on Jo's lap while she rocked him. It was dark and I handed him "Imposter" McQueen. He looked at it closely, then looked at me and said "Thanks, Dad!". I thought I'd pulled it off. I smiled and kissed him goodnight...

He sat on Jo's lap while she rocked him, and in the dark he was feeling McQueen with his fingertips -- FEELING FOR SCRATCHES that he knew should be there!

He was on to me.

Once he got down off Jo's lap, he went over and held McQueen up to the tiny night light and examined the car more closely. He then promptly threw McQueen on the floor and exclaimed "That's NOT New McQueen!"

Busted. I knew better than to try and trick him.

So he and I headed downstairs to find the real McQueen....he proclaimed "Padre knows where he is." But, Padre wasn't telling. We quickly found the right McQueen though. Crisis averted.

2 comments:

adrianne said...

What were you thinking? Trying to trick that sweet, innocent boy? And I thought you were such a good dad! hehe! You are an awesome dad, Colby...one of the best I've known. Your wife & kids are so lucky to have you-& you are lucky to have them. I am glad Jake busted you, though! Why haven't you blogged about the "what's this, mommy?" story you told mom a few days ago? Love you, brother!

Roxie Armstrong said...

We understand searching for Lightning. You are lucky that you have several of them. We about tore our house down one day. We couldn't find Lightning no matter how hard we tried. Jake usually knows where he had him last, but not that time. We were pulling our hair out. Of course we did finally find it. Jake was so upset.